Text messages we send and receive sometimes reveal sensitive personal details about us that we all want to hide. At least in default settings, iPhone doesn’t do anything much to ensure privacy of our conversations. If you want your sensitive messages to be hidden on your iPhone, go to Settings and, according to the amount of privacy you want, download privacy-based text application from App Store.
Why You Should Hide Text Messages?
Not everyone who wants to hide text messages is a cheating partner, a suspect or a criminal. Suppose birthday of your loved one is just around the corner. You are planning to throw a surprise party for them. So, you would naturally want to keep things private. Keeping everything secret is not that simple if you live with some. In fact, it is next to impossible to do so. Just leaving your iPhone with display faced up on the table could become a disaster. Just one text message revealed by the device popping on when your birthday girl/boy is sitting just around the table and it will ruin the whole surprise.
As birthday comes just once in a year, it is sure that a colleague, child, or friend may borrow your phone for a while and you cannot refuse them. You may know how it feels when your private conversations, pictures and embarrassing apps are being revealed as they are simply few swipes and taps away. There are also chances that you may leave your phone somewhere in your home or someone you know gets hold of it.
Once in for all, you always want to hide your private text messages and ensure your privacy. If you want to keep your private details hidden and you feel better with it, keep reading this post and know the tricks to hide your texts on iPhone.
Hide Messages from Lock Screen
Whenever you get a text message, your display will pop up on the lock screen, no matter you have noticed it or not. There are chances that it may reveal some of your private info. In addition, it also includes quick reply. In case someone gets hold of your device, they could just respond to the text by swiping left on the notification. This way, you need to follow these steps –
Disable Show Previews
By turning this feature off, you will keep getting notification. But it will keep your incoming messages hidden.
- Head to Settings > Notifications > Messages
- Scroll down to go to Include section
- You will get Show Previews option.
- If it is turned on by default, turn it off and button will turn grey.
Hide Text Alert from Lock Screen
If you didn’t get enough protection with the above method, you can just disable the whole notification –
- Simply go to Messages app in Settings
- Search for the option “Show on Lock Screen”
- Turn it off and also disable “Badge App Icon”
Now, you will no longer see any new iMessage or SMS on your lock screen.
Hide Text Messages on Message App of Your iPhone
The above solutions can hide your messages and notifications only from lock screen of your iPhone. But there are some people who enter the Message app to sneak into your private messages. To hide texts on Message app, you will have to jailbreak iPhone. Then, you may use Hidden Convos from Cydia tweak. You can easily hide the conversations with ease through quick gesture. Simply follow these steps to install it on your iPhone –
- Open Cydia
- It’s time to install HiddenConvos tweak
- Head to Messages.app and left swipe the text that you want to hide.
- It has a new button “Hide” now after Delete.
- Simply tap on it and it will hide conversation.
Unhide Text Messages
- Simply tap on Edit button
- It will show up another button “Unhide All” on the top right side
- Tap on it and it will show up all the conversations that are hidden in the list.
Its free version is enough to ensure privacy. You may switch to Pro version for added privacy. It has features like
- Change color of hide button
- Unhide one conversation rather than unhiding all
- Long pres or swipe right to cover the conversation.
We hope these tricks will help you ensure privacy on your iPhone and you can stay rest assured even when someone gets hold of it.